Whitney Houston – Dead At 48
Whitney Houston, who at one time had one of the most powerful voices in music, as well as a star of film has died at the age of 48.
Sadly, she became as well-known to her fans for her erratic behavior, drug use, rehab stints, and failed marriage to former New Edition singer Bobby Brown.
Publicist Kristen Foster said earlier today that the time of death and cause have not been determined as of yet.
In her heyday, Houston was one of the biggest selling artists in music, and multiple platinum award winner. The Diva always seemed sing effortlessly early in her career and ruled the music charts from the mid 80s to the late 90s. She sold more than 50 million records in the U.S. alone.
She made the move from music to film with movies such as, “The Bodyguard” and “Waiting to Exhale.”
Early on in her career, she had the poise and sex appeal that many seek and never find. Everything she did appeared to come to her without effort…naturally.
However, she admitted to having abused alcohol, drugs, pills, marijuana, cocaine and that combination took its toll on her voice which used to have a three octave range and turned it into a raspy, gruff vocal which was no longer able to hit the high notes she was known for in the beginning.
The daughter of singer Cissy Houston and niece to Dionne Warwick, it ran in the family…no, it galloped.
Arista music mogul Clive Davis said, “To hear this young girl breathe such fire into this song. I mean, it really sent the proverbial tingles up my spine,” he continued, “The time that I first saw her singing in her mother’s act in a club … it was such a stunning impact.”
Davis signed her and was the mentor that molded her from the start.
Some of her biggest hits were, “Saving All My Love for You” (which won her first Grammy, for best female pop vocal), ”How Will I Know,” ”You Give Good Love”, ”The Greatest Love of All”, “Where Do Broken Hearts Go” and “I Wanna Dance With Somebody.”
Get the latest from SUNNY:
- Clueless Movie Reviews: “John Wick”
- 41st ANNUAL GREAT DAY IN THE COUNTRY ARTS & CRAFTS FESTIVAL OVIEDO
- Give Kids The World Gingerbread Run 5K Presented by Aarons
- Paul McCartney Speaking At Rollins College
- Single Again: Survivor – ‘Eye of the Tiger’
- Viral Vid Fun: Brad Pitt Goes ‘Between Two Ferns’ With Zach Galifianakis
- Rick Stacy On Demand 10.23.14
- Chris Mann Set For Lead Role In ‘Phantom Of The Opera’
- Listen To An Alternate Version Of Led Zeppelin’s ‘Stairway To Heaven’
- Rick Stacy On Demand 10.22.14